Monday, August 16, 2010

California Academy of Sciences

The new Housing for the California Academy of Sciences is simply a marvel. I have visited California
Academy more times than I can remember from when I was a toddler into my adulthood and it still fills me with wonder. The new structure at Golden Gate Park is filled with new exhibits as well as keeping some of the time tested crowd favorites of the past.

I was amazed with the Rainforests of the World Exhibit, especially all the butterflies cruising at the top of the canopy. Even though no flash is allowed, I still tried to capture these fragile beauties.









I even saw a few spiders and reptiles hanging around




One of the left over exhibits and also one of my favs is the Swamp. The Swamp houses an albino Alligator that one can see from above and below the water line.


Albino alligator with an alligator snapping turtle

That fish is playing in dangerous territory.

The Steinhart Aquarium is a must see. Unfortunately it was too crowded for me to shoot any shots of the Aquarium inhabitants. While exiting I did sneak one shot of the very cool jellyfish that are lit up so beautifully.

Next time and there will definitely be a next time, I will try to capture more of the Aquariums inhabitants. Hopefully in a few months when summer is over, the crowds will die down to allow enough space to take pictures.

No comments: